Recipe by Cornelia Sabrina, @Cornelia_Sabrina on IG
Unflavored protein powder has such a bad reputation. It is like the child that nobody wants next
to Banana Maple Muffin and Coconut Macaron. But what if I told you that you can do much
more with it than just mix it with already flavored TRU protein to make it less sweet? That is
right, it actually has a purpose and a good one at that. You know all those delicious sauces you
find on the grocery store shelf? Those are 90% of the time thickened with modified food starch
and other starches. That is where the TRU Unflavored Protein shines! This plant based
mushroom sauce will be your new staple, assuming you like mushrooms. You can enjoy this
sauce with any protein source, chicken, turkey, tofu, seitan. With only 100 calories per serving
and almost 13g of protein, this is perfect to add flavor to your meal prep.
Vegan Mushroom Sauce
Recipe makes approximately 3 servings (1 cup serving size)
16 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms
1/2 cup Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, chopped
1/2 cup Cashew Yogurt, plain
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Parsley, fresh or dry
1 tsp Agave Nectar
1 scoop TRU Unflavored Protein
1/2 cup Dried Mushrooms
3 cups Water
1) Bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add dried mushrooms, turn heat off and cover. Put aside.
2) Clean and chop mushrooms in slices.
3) Preheat a non stick pan on medium high heat. Spray just a little bit of cooking oil and add
chopped onions, garlic and mushrooms. Sprinkle the teaspoon of sea salt over the ingredients
and roast until golden and fragrant stirring occasionally.
4) Meanwhile strain the water with the dried mushrooms inside. Take a small bowl, add 1.5 cups
of the steeped mushroom water and 1 scoop TRU unflavored protein powder and whisk until
5) Once the mushrooms and onions are cooked through and browned slightly, add the protein
mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring well.
6) Add the rest of the ingredients and the left over mushroom water and cook on medium heat
for 3-5 minutes. Just enough for everything to combine well. Enjoy this sauce with your favorite
protein on top of rice or potatoes.
1 serving (approx. 1 cup) :
12.7 g protein
11.7 g carbs (3 g of sugar)
1.1 g fat