Recipe Corner: Plant-based Pancakes
Recipe by Cornelia Sabrina, @Cornelia_Sabrina on IG
This has been the most requested recipe of all time. Everyone always asks me how my pancakes turn out so thick. And let's be honest, if you are working or a busy mother it is just a drag to make things from scratch all the time. There are protein pancake mixes out there but none of them are plant based unfortunately, which made me realize we are missing something. This recipe is plant based, can be made gluten free if you replace the flour with oat flour and it is easy to use.
You can store this in your pantry and whenever you feel like making pancakes it will take you just a few minutes to make. They are healthy and perfectly balanced breakfast not just for you, but for the entire family. I top mine with almond butter, some cashew yogurt and fruits. This will also add a little healthy fat to this since the pancake mix barely has any fat.
BEFORE making this recipe, please test your baking powder to make sure it is still active. It would be a lot of waste of ingredients if the baking powder was old and does not have any rising power anymore.
Depending on your macros you can get away making more than just 1/2 cup (1 serving) of the mix but that is up to you. The recipe asks for cashew milk because that is what I generally use because it is a little thicker and creamier than other plant milks and if your milk is thinner I would recommend to not pour the entire half cup in right away. Just to be sure the batter does not become too thin, add half first and then slowly add the rest to the desired consistency. If mixed correctly it should make thick pancakes. If they turned out too think add a little less milk next time.
TRU Plantbased Pancake Mix
Recipe makes about 13 servings
Time: 5 minutes total
4 cups spelt flour
8 scoops TRU Protein Powder
1/4 cup Arrowroot Starch
1/3 cup Flax Seed, milled
1/2 cup baking powder
1) Mix all dry ingredients together and sift into a bowl. I recommend to sift two times before storing it into a container. You can skip this step if you prefer but it will help make the mix lighter and easier to mix once you are ready to make your pancakes. It also helsp to combine the ingredients evenly.
How to use the mix:
Makes 2 pancakes.
1/2 cup pancake mix
1/2 cup cashew milk
1) Heat a non stick pan on medium heat and spray with a little oil.
2) Whisk ingredients together and let sit for 1 minute until batter becomes thick and fluffy.
3) Scoop 1/2 cup of batter onto the pan and flip once you see the edges become cooked. DO NOT flip these too early. It is better to turn the pan temperature a little lower and let the first side cook enough before flipping.
* You can replace the spelt flour for oat flour.
** You can replace Arrowroot starch with corn starch, potato starch or tapioca starch. Please keep in mind that some starches are not a 1:1 replacement for this and might give you different results.
1/2 cup pancake mix (without milk):
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.